Following Aaron Walls recent post on a shift by Google focussing more on branding, Matt Cutts addresses the question directly. The question was taken from Google Moderator and asked if Matt could verify was placing more priority on brand
A summary of Matts comments are:
- Google doesn’t think of brands, it thinks of things like authority, trust, and pagerank.
- There has been a change in ranking
- Simple change NOT an update
- Change in how they do rankings rather than update
- Only affects limited subset of results
- Doesn’t affect vast majority of rankings, like long tail. Will affect specific types of queries
- Continue developing good quality content, get yourself known as an authority
Interesting response, however doesn’t directly answer the question. It is always good however to see Google’s (and in particular Matts response on this.